Sun, 12 Nov 2017
No, it is not a compiler error. It is never a compiler error.
When I used to hang out in the
When I worked at the University of Pennsylvania, a grad student posted to one of the internal bulletin boards looking for help with a program that didn't work. Another graduate student, a super-annoying know-it-all, said confidently that it was certainly a compiler bug. It was not a compiler bug. It was caused by a misunderstanding of the way arguments to unprototyped functions were automatically promoted.
This is actually a subtle point, obscure and easily misunderstood.
Most examples I have seen of people blaming the compiler are much
sillier. I used to be on the mailing list for discussing the
development of Perl 5, and people would show up from time to time to
ask if Perl's
Here's something I wrote in October 2000,
which I think makes the case very clearly, this time concerning a
claimed bug in the
Presumably I had to learn this myself at some point. A programmer can waste a lot of time looking for the bug in the compiler instead of looking for the bug in their program. I have a file of (obnoxious) Good Advice for Programmers that I wrote about twenty years ago, and one of these items is:
Anyway, I will get to the point. As I mentioned a few months ago, I built a simple phone app that Toph and I can use to find solutions to “twenty-four puzzles”. In these puzzles, you are given four single-digit numbers and you have to combine them arithmetically to total 24. Pennsylvania license plates have four digits, so as we drive around we play the game with the license plate numbers we see. Sometimes we can't solve a puzzle, and then we wonder: is it because there is no solution, or because we just couldn't find one? Then we ask the phone app.
The other day we saw the puzzle «5 4 5 1», which is very easy, but I asked the phone app, to find out if there were any other solutions that we missed. And it announced “No solutions.” Which is wrong. So my program had a bug, as my programs often do.
The app has a pre-populated dictionary containing all possible
solutions to all the puzzles that have solutions, which I generated
ahead of time and embedded into the app. My first guess was that bug
had been in the process that generated this dictionary, and that it
had somehow missed the solutions of «5 4 5 1». These would be indexed
under the key
This constructs a hash key (
was sorting the numbers
For a while I could not believe my eyes. But after another fifteen or thirty minutes of tinkering, I sent off a bug report… no, I did not. I still didn't believe it. I asked the front-end programmers at my company what my mistake had been. Nobody had any suggestions.
Then I sent off a bug report that began:
I was about 70% expecting to get a reply back explaining what I had
But to my astonishment, the reply came back only an hour later:
In case you're curious, the bug was as follows: The
but it should have been:
The Code Studio folks handled this very creditably, and did indeed fix it the same day. (The support system ticket is available for your perusal, as is the Github pull request with the fix, in case you are interested.)
I still can't quite believe it. I feel as though I have accidentally spotted the Loch Ness Monster, or Bigfoot, or something like that, a strange and legendary monster that until now I thought most likely didn't exist.
A bug in the
[ Addendum 20171113: Thanks to Reddit user spotter for pointing me to a related 2008 blog post of Jeff Atwood's, “The First Rule of Programming: It's Always Your Fault”. ]
[ Addendum 20171113: Yes, yes, I know
[ Addendum 20171116: I remembered examples of two other fundamental system software errors I have discovered, including one honest-to-goodness compiler bug. ]
[ Addendum 20200929: Russell O'Connor on a horrifying GCC bug ]
[Other articles in category /prog] permanent link